Sunday, October 12, 2014

while reading They say I say by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein; the chapter that pointed out the most to me was chapter nine. chapter nine "Ain't so/ is not" was about when to use your own words and when to use academical words. sometimes i found my self thinking if i should use my own words to describe a situation, or should i use educational words to make it sounds much better and somewhat "fancy". The book tough me that their is a time for everything. writing a letter applying for a job  and using words too colloquial can jeopardize your chances of success. people that read this letters may have travels understanding what you mean by certain things, and they will just put your paper under the pile because they did not understood what you meant. In this occasion is better to play it safe and just write it in your own words, or use words that the person most likely is going to understand and maybe refer to it as well.

2 comments:

  1. Chapter nine of "They Say I Say" was actually my favorite so far from the book. I often find myself in the same situation as you. Thinking about whether i should try and make something more "fancy" or not. I love how the chapter pointed out that you don't have to use educational words to write, but to use your own words so that the readers not only get a sense of what kind of person you are but also understand what you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand where you are coming from Santiago, we sometimes are conflicted because we do not know when to use colloquial or academic form of writing. Going through elementary school and high school we are used to using more formal writing and do not get many chances to use colloquial writing. Sometimes using the colloquial style of writing adds character to an essay because it shows the reader a glimpse of your personality.

    ReplyDelete